After an uneventful first period that saw the Calgary Flames control most of the play, the goals started to come fast and furious. 11 goals in total, with Colorado taking the second, and Calgary closing it out with a commanding third period of play. Why did the Flames win?
- Let’s start things off with Sam Bennett. Snake bit all year, he’s finding ways to contribute. After Jankowski got his bell rung with a huge open ice hit, Bennett dropped the mitts and responded. That fired the team up after going down 4-1 into the third.
- A quick PPG in the opening minute of the third by Lindholm started the comeback parade.
- The second line lead by Backlund and Tkachuck (3 assists) held the top line in the league vs Colorado to a -3 on the night. A solid performance from the second line.
- The captain lead the way with the GWG and 3 points on the night playing 27 minutes in every situation.
- The lines were shuffled in the third and the players seemed to have responded. Peters certainly doesn’t like to stick with a broken plan for long….
To put up three wins in a row, and against increasingly tougher competition, speaks well for this team that just a week ago got blown out at home 9-1. If they can figure out their goaltending, Mike Smith had a terrible outing, they might go on a bit of a run. Kind of like weed stocks, just hopefully with less volatility.