If you’re connected to Facebook then you have no doubt been tagged or have read other friend’s ’25 random things about me’ meme. Here is a Calgary Flames version for fun, feel free to add your own.
1. Leading the Flames in penalty minutes thus far is none other than Cory Sarich (76 pim).
2. Jarome Iginla is one pace to become the Flames’ number one point getter (831).
3. The Flames have one the Conference Championship three times. (1985â€“86, 1988â€“89, 2003â€“04)
4. Harvey the Hound was the first mascot in the NHL.
5. No Flames player is from Calgary, but three are from Edmonton (Iginla, Langkow, Phaneuf).
6. Adrian Aucoin has won the hardest shot competition two years in a row using a wood stick. Dion Phaneuf doesn’t enter the contest since he can’t get over 90 mph (:P).
7. Kiprusoff is the only European on the active roster this year.
8. The netminder also leads the NHL in starts, wins, and has two assists tying him for points with Vandermeer and Prust.
9. The last Russian to play on the team was Andrei Zyuzin (former USSR) in 2007.
10. If Cammalleri wins the goal-scoring race this year it will be the first time since Val Bure (1999-2000) since someone other than Iginla has won it.
11. Speaking of Val Bure, he is the other Flames other than Dion Phanuef to date a notable celebrity (that I can recall). He married Full House’s Candance Cameron.
12. Chris Simon was tripped along the boards before he could make it to the point on the fateful game six OT loss at home during the 04-05 Stanley Cup finals.
13. In the past ten years the oldest Flame to play with the team was Dave Lowry (2004-05) age 39.
14. Top three scorers in season 03-04 (before magic run) were Iginla, Conroy, and……Shean Donovan.
15. Rhett Warrener has never played all 82 games of the regular season. However, he does have 101 playoff games under his belt.
16. Curtis McElhinney has yet to win a NHL game.
17. Dion Phaneuf will likely hit a career low in every stat column except assists. He still leads all defencemen on the Flames with points.
18. Joe Nieuwendyk scored 51 goals in his rookie season.
19. Sergei Makarov was the first Russian to win the Calder Cup.
20. Jim Playfair is one of the few coaches to be demoted from head coach but remain with the team on the bench.
21. The #1 affiliate with the Flames – the AHL squad – has been in St. John, Lowell, Omaha, and Quad Cities, over the past decade.
22. Starting netminders in the AHL are Matt Keetley and Leland Iriving. Top scorer is Jamie Lundmark. Kevin Lelande plays for the ECHL Las Vegas Wranglers.
23. Roman Turek still plays–for Ceske Budejovice HC in the Czech Republic.
24. The last on-ice brawl was against Nashville.
Before that was Anaheim.
25. A 2010 version of Red Hot should be made.