Make that eight wins at home in a row for the Calgary Flames. One month ago the team was completely out of the playoff picture, now despite sitting at the bottom of the Western Conference, they’re stringing together wins and have games in hand. What that means is this: the Flames are four points out of a playoff spot with two games in hand.
I wouldn’t say that it comes as a surprise the team is in this position, because everyone knew what they were capable of doing, they just needed to put together the wins to give themselves a chance. Well they now have a chance.
Here’s tonight’s post game vignette:
- The Johnny Gaudreau show continues. Along with the game winning goal he had one assist.
- Sean Monahan for his part potted two goals for 3 point night.
- a last minute change in goal as Jonas Hiller started his first game in about a month replacing a sick Kari Ramo.
- YuJiri Hudler was also a last minute scratch leaving the Saddledome with flu symptoms
- That meant Brandon big money Bollig and Micheal Ferland factored in (and largely didn’t factor in).
- While the Flames are improving, the likes of bully and Raymond or effectively deadweight made even more evident every game they play
- Sam Bennett is suffering from rookie blues has his game has dropped too low point. Not putting up points and tonight taking two penalties that lead to Buffalo goals we’re all of his achievements.
- Kris Russell continues to sit out with a hand injury and the team largely doesn’t miss him.
- You can credit the comeback to a Buffalo team that’s about average. The Flames certainly capitalized on some rookie mistakes and shaky goaltending.
Next up the Flames will be host the New York Rangers as they close this homestand. Let’s hope that they can put together another win to make it nine at home. I guess you can say that the road to the playoffs is in full swing.