I had a bet with a neighbour who quickly took the Flames to win. Fine, I’ll take Montreal, after all, for a beer, they are the top team in the East. I didn’t expect a Flames team to largely dominate. They looked really good 5v5 and took control most of the game. Where they lacked was again, that edge that separates average teams from great teams. They also couldn’t do anything on the PP, and after squandering 3 chances in the late third period I said, “you don’t score on three late power-plays you do’nt deserve to win.”
Sure enough, the prophecy would hold true.
Some additional thoughts on tonight’s game.
1) Was it just my TElus Optik TV that was messed up tonight?
2) Huge losses down the middle tonight. Joe Colbourne out with upper body injury. Matt Stajan out with a knee injury. Can’t believe that wasn’t a five minute major.
3) You could tell the beleaguered offence was squeezing the stick a bit too hard with Carey Price in net. So many missed shots because players were looking for the perfect shot.
4) Defence continue to score goals for the Flames. Giordano tonight.
5) Calgary lacks offence, we know that, what we need is a bit more edge in the game and some space for our skilled players. Not sure what the solution is there.
6) Hiller in net, he was great again.
7) Gaudreau with the potential game-winning goal on his stick in the shoot-out. He moved so fast that Price didn’t even react, but made the save anyways because of his long frame. Jonny was probably too cute on his move.
8) David Jones back in the lineup. And nobody cares. He’s in because Mason Raymond is out for a month. So injuries are now a problem for the Flames.
9) So many powerplays and no PP goals. Terrible. But again, if you do’nt have offensive weapons you’re not going to score any goals.
10) Another sleep Glencross night.
Nashville in town on Friday.