Slow start, great second period, held on for the two points. It’s always a thrill to beat your provincial rival, especially when both teams are fighting for a playoff spot. It’s been years since Calgary and Edmonton have faced off against each other in a meaningful way. This year the talent has finally caught up and made Edmonton a better team. But they still have a ways to go to shore up their defensive problems.
Despite going behind 0-2 after the first frame Calgary fought back later by, no surprise here, Johnny Hockey. Here’s your post game vignette:
- Love him or hate him Mark Giordano leads the team from the backend and where he goes the team goes. After a shaky first period, including giving out the park that led to a shorthanded goal, he rebounded just score two on the power play.
- Although the power play still doesn’t look that great, special teams that play a factor, with Matt Stajan recording the first shorthanded goal for the Flames this season
- Johnny Hockey, at this rate we will be paying him $8 million and he’ll be worth every penny. Every time he touches the puck it looks like magic is about to happen. He had two goals including a late second period goal that stood as the eventual game-winner.
- Defensively there’s still much to be had, but offensively the defense are stepping up and putting up points.
- Kari Ramo in net yet again and registering the win.
- Huge game by Sam Bennett is finally starting to use his size. The coaches probably both inside and have talk. Although he didn’t register a point he was still a force on the ice
Coming off the Christmas break with another win, against a divisional arrival, As busy moving in the right direction. They can continue their winning ways and extend a franchise record home win streak tomorrow versus Anaheim.