If there was a right time to fire the head coach, about now is the time to do. General Manager Brad Treliving announced this morning that Bob Hartley, and associate coach Jacques Cloutier, will not return to the club. Only one season removed from winning the Jack Adams award for league’s best coach, Bob
Highlights from this morning press conference with GM Treliving:
- Those taking responsibility starts with the GM and includes underperformance by players.
- The very first point on what’s lacking was special teams being as bad as they were
- Style of play was a question for the GM and maximizing the ability of the players
- Goaltending an issue this year, that’s the GM’s problem
- The way the team plays in front of the goaltender, that’s more of a coaching issue
- Treliving balanced the options and decided a change was necessary in order to get the most out of the team and go to the next level which he doesn’t believe Hartley couldn’t do.
- There’s (apparently) no candidate ready to replace Hartley.
- Timetable to hire a replacement not set. No word on if that comes before the draft.
Bob, as I understand it, will continue to get his salary for another year, which is pretty sweet when you think about, you know, free money.