The Avs aren’t very good, and Calgary’s special teams are. Put those two together and it’s an easy two points for the good guys. Here are a few highlights from tonight’s game.
- Shut out for Brian Elliott, oh just kidding, Colorado scores with 1.30 left in the game.
- Kris Versteeg seems to enjoy hitting players with the puck, ringing one off an Avs player late in the third. He was the one who shot the puck of the end of the period that broke Troy Brouwer’s hand.
- Actually a good thing to say about the officiating, the linesmen broke up a potential Giordano vs. Iginla fight. Nobody wanted to see that.
- Coming into the month December, Calgary have the worst penalty kill and power play in the league. Fast forward 30 days and they now sit top 10 for the Power play. The team is #1 for both over the past 30 days.
- Mikael Backlund continues his hot hand scoring has 12th of the year. Surprisingly, he leaves the team in scoring.
Calgary will play a home at home series versus the Vancouver Canucks over the weekend. More games against a team struggling to enter the playoff picture.