The Calgary Flames have a knack for losing to teams with below .500 ratings. Buffalo came into the city with an 11 game losing streak under their belt. Calgary, after a brief All-Star break, looked to find their winning form. Sitting in the final Wild Card spot in the Western Conference, the Flames need every two points they can muster.
Coming into the game a few notable updates, here are the post-game thoughts:
– With Joni Ortio going down to the AHL, Hiller is going to carry the mail. His last start was Jan 9th. Ramo will back up and will be ready to jump into the fray when given the chance. Hiller was a bit off with rebound control, but made a timely stop in the late seconds of the second period.
– AHL call ups include Wotherspoon, Baertschi, and Wolf. Hope to get a chance to see them sometime this week. Wolf in for Bollig would be fine. Baertschi on the second line instead of Bouma would be great too. Byron can have a seat as well.
– Giordano and Gaudreau coming off a swing of travel from the All-Star game. Lots of eyes on Gaudreau as he enters a stage in the season where most think his body will slow down given the arduous NHL pace compared to college. His two goals tonight put him on pace to crack 30+. He also netted a nice bonus by playing in the All-Star game.
– Hudler was a last minute addition to the lineup and helped the PP as well as put in a helper on the 4th goal.
– David Jones was flying and had a few opportunities. Mason Raymond looks asleep. Bouma on the second line makes zero sense whatsoever.
– The coaching staff has the Flames in 7 game mindsets, similar to playoff scenarios. With this outlook they’ve actually only lost ONE ‘series’ this year, their 8 game losing streak in December.
– Next up is Minnesota where the Flames will try to keep distance between their Conference rival.